READ: Maker Lab Safety Protocols
1. All makers will check-in when entering the Maker Lab using their smartphones or personal mobile device by scanning a QR code. Instructions for checking in will be posted at the front entrance.
2. Face masks should be worn at all times in the Maker Lab. If you do not have a personal face mask, a disposable one will be provided when you check in.
3. Until further notice, no eating or drinking will be permitted in the Maker Lab. This will ensure that masks are worn at all times and all areas can be kept disinfected.
4. Hand sanitizer should be used when entering the Maker Lab. Hand sanitizer is located at the front check-in desk as well as other areas around the Maker Lab.
5. To limit capacity, makers should make online reservations to use all tools and workspaces. Walk-ins can be accommodated as space allows, but reservations are highly recommended.
6. Makers should wait in the Atrium (outside of the Maker Lab) until the start time of their reservation. Instructions for making reservations will be located at the Atrium entrance to the Maker Lab.
7. Makers should leave all tools used at a cleaning station rather than returning them to their original locations. Maker Lab staff will disinfect all tools and return them to original locations.
8. Makers should take responsibility for their own safety. When in doubt, feel free to use our disinfecting supplies to clean a tool or work surface or ask Maker Lab staff for assistance.
Monday: 9-8 Tuesday: 9-5 Wednesday: 9-5 Thursday: 9-8 Friday: 9-5 Sat&Sun: Closed
Check Instagram or Facebook for other closures.
The Maker Lab is a 7,000 square foot design and fabrication space on the campus of Abilene Christian University. Located in the Brown Library, the Maker Lab is open to all ACU students, faculty and staff, as well as our neighbors in Abilene and surrounding communities. Our ongoing mission is to provide tools, training, support and inspiration while promoting creativity, innovation and design thinking through unique experiential learning opportunities.
TAKE A TOUR
The best way to get to know us is to come in and take a tour. We’re happy to show you around and answer your questions.
Our most popular tools have an online reservation option that can guarantee you access when you need it.
Whether its providing online learning options or conducting face-to-face training, the Maker Lab staff is ready to help.
We build community through personal interaction and idea sharing.
The best part of our job is telling the stories of what our community of makers is up to. Take a look and be prepared to get inspired!
We keep a wide variety of materials in stock to sell to makers. Save yourself a trip to the big box store and buy what you need in the Maker Lab.
BY THE NUMBERS
The Maker Lab has over 900 registered users who log in over 10,000 visits a year. We’ve lost track of the number of projects completed and the number of tools in our space, but we do know that in the Maker Lab, the possibilities are endless.
Maker Lab Staff
Abilene Christian University is an Adobe Creative Campus. ACU students, faculty and staff have full access to Adobe’s industry-leading creative tools for web, media and design, all free of charge.
In the Maker Lab, we use Adobe Illustrator to design for our laser cutting tools, cnc router and vinyl cutting tools. Designing in Illustrator is easy to get started, and the first step is downloading and installing Adobe Illustrator on your own device.
Adobe Illustrator is installed on all of the computers in the Maker Lab and visitors are welcome to come in any time and use these free tools for design work. Of course, if you need assistance, ask any of our Makers on Duty. We’re here to help.
MEET YOUR MAKERS
The "Makers On Duty" are our team of student workers who keep things running smoothly and provide training and support to our maker community. They come from many departments across camps and bring a diverse set of interests and skills to the Maker Lab. Our Makers on Duty are always available to answer a question or to walk you through your first project in the lab. Next time you come in, introduce yourself and let us know how we can help.
Advertising & Public Relations
Maker Lab Director
Assistant to the Director of the Maker Lab